TO ALL MSI PARTICIPANTS
Below, please find easy instructions regarding using Zoom for the MSI courses.
GETTING A GOOD SETUP
A computer with a camera and microphone is enough to get you started. An iPad or smart phone will work too. Make sure to minimize any background noises, including ceiling fans.
The biggest way to improve video quality is to use a wired connection rather than wireless (if possible). Also make sure no one else in your house is streaming (e.g. movies or gaming) at the same time.
- For laptops, you might use a tall table (stack a couple books if needed). For tablets, a music stand is ideal. Basically, you want the teacher to be able to see your full upper body.
- Make sure the camera isn’t pointed in front of a bright window.
USING THE ZOOM PLATFORM
- On the bottom control bar, lower left, click the arrow next to microphone.
- Select the last menu item, “Audio settings.”
- Under the “Microphone” heading, there’s a box that says “Automatically adjust microphone volume.” Turn this OFF.
- Just below this, there’s a box that says, “Allow option for using original sound.” Turn this ON.
- Now, on the lower right of this same window, click “Advanced.”
- From here, you’ll see two options: “Suppress persistent background noise,” and “Suppress intermittent background noise. Turn both of these OFF.
- Exit from the settings menu.
- In the main video screen, in the upper left corner, you should see a grey box that says, “Enable Original Sound.” Click this “on”. If your device doesn’t show this button, no worries.